EDM Did Edmonton get worse?

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by AlClemBee9575, Aug 27, 2017.

1. No. If anything they're better.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Not much has changed honestly.

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  3. A little bit, but it shouldn't affect them much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes definitely. Enjoy sucking again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

After the very successful 2016/2017 campaign that saw Edmonton take the league by storm, the Oilers have had a relatively quiet offseason. They lost some guys, added some guys, and resigned some guys. That being said, I keep seeing people put out tweets or comments that say the Oilers are worse now than they were last year. Is there any truth to that? Well let's take a look at who Edmonton lost, added, and resigned.

Players that are gone:

1. Jordan Eberle: Eberle had a down season this year. He went 18 games without a goal at one point, had to pot 4 goals in 2 games against the Utica Comets to hit the 20 goal mark, and he was a no-show in the playoffs. The writing was on the wall and Eberle was traded to the Islanders in exchange for Ryan Strome. If Strome can come in and be physical along with being defensively sound, Eberle and his 20 goals won't be missed.

2. Benoit Pouliot: Like Eberle, Pouliot was a no-show in the playoffs. He played 67 regular season games and only amassed 14 points. He also took stupid penalties early on in the season. Jokinen can probably do twice as much as Pouliot did.

3. David Desharnais: He left via free agency. I would've liked David to hang around for another year, but Edmonton is set down the middle so there was no need to keep him.

4. Tyler Pitlick: Young guy, lots of heart and skill, but injury prone. He looked great to start the season, but was quickly forgotten about when he suffered a season ending injury in December.

5. Jordan Oesterle: Probably nothing more than a depth defenceman whilst with the Oilers, has a chance to be a consistent NHL player with Chicago.

6. Griffin Reinhart: Lost in the expansion draft to Vegas. People like to chirp that Chiarelli paid too much for Reinhart. And he did. But in Chiarelli's defence, Vegas wasn't a team when the trade was made and had no way of knowing that Reinhart would be taken. If he did, he doesn't make the trade.

7. Matt Hendricks: Fantastic leader, person, and teammate. Signed with Winnipeg.

Players that are new:

1. Ryan Strome: Acquired from New York for Eberle, Strome can play center or on the wing (something McLellan loves). Most have him playing on McDavid's wing, though he can center his own line if needed. As I stated above, if he can do the things that Eberle didn't (be phsyical and defensively aware), then I could care less if he isn't able to match Eberle's 20 goals.

Jussi Jokinen: He's good in the shootout, he's big, he's better defensively, and he's Finnish too! A straight up replacement for Benoit Pouliot, Jokinen should be able to do more than Pouliot plus he an excellent mentor for Puljujarvi.

3. Connor McDavid: The reigning Hart, Ted Lindsay, and Art Ross winner enters the final year of his 3-year ELC. He was signed to an 8-year, $100M extension on July 3rd. He's not at Crosby's level yet, and won't be for some time, but he is the real deal. Look forward to him leading the charge again.

4. Leon Draisitl: Last season could be viewed as Leon Draisitl's coming out party, especially in the playoffs where his 16pts in 13 playoff games helped Edmonton get past San Jose in round 1, and push the Ducks to 7 games in round 2. He just signed an 8-year, $68M extension, that kicks in this season. I look forward to him centering his own line where he was actually more useful to Edmonton.

So as you can see, not much has really changed in Oil Country. As a visual reference, here was the Oilers lineup when they got eliminated:

Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
    Lucic-Draisitl-Slepyshev
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Desharnais-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
    Russell-Benning
    Nurse-Gryba

Talbot-Brossoit

Now here is a projected lineup for opening night:

Maroon-McDavid-Nuge
    Lucic-Draisitl-Slepshev
    Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi
    Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
    Russell-Benning
    Nurse-Gryba
    *Sekera

Talbot-Brossoit

Sure we don't know how chemistry is going to work, but the roster hasn't changed much at all. If anything, Edmonton stayed relatively the same, which for this organization is a good thing. I'll talk more in my season preview.

2. Mikhail Sergachev22

Mikhail Sergachev22 Veteran

well in my eyes they definitely didn't get worse, but i think the people who are saying edmonton wins the presidents trophy and edmonton for the cup are stupid.

3. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

I agree. Edmonton isn't winning either of those this year. They're a couple of good pieces away from that.

4. Leafer

Leafer 2BC Elite PICK'EM CHAMP

They didn't get worse. But their star players got better and better. They're still dangerous.

5. Sawyer Handboiler

Sawyer Handboiler Rookie

Nothing Happened, Fuck Toby The Monkey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.