Duchene to Buffalo? Maybe...

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by Doclaf, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 3

Now the first place I heard this was an Eklund post so I took it with a massive grain of salt. Basically, the rumor mill that we all know and love, Eklund of HockeyBuzz, said that a Buffalo Sabres player texted him and said that the Sabres were in on Matt Duchene. A big trade was in the works. Because Eklund has such a terrible track record I dismissed that as ridiculous but lately I've seen more and more outlets saying it's a possibility. Yesterday I heard some speculation that Buffalo's favorite social media troll Evander Kane was the one who texted Ek and that the trade involved Kane himself.
    So what we have here is an unlikely trade scenario where the Sabres trade Kane and presumably some other assets to Colorado for Duchene. Sakic apparently wants to try again after trading O'Reilly to the Sabres and famously losing that trade.
    For my part, I hate the trade idea. On the face value, the Sabres have too many centers already and a gaping spot on the top 6 LW so it makes no sense to bring in another center at the expense of a LW. Looking deeper, even if Duchene got traded one for one for Kane, I wouldn't want that trade. Kane had more points in less games last season and Kane is one of the league's best 5v5 goal scorers. Kane is a premier winger who plays fast and physical and Duchene isn't enough to replace the impact he has on the ice for Buffalo. Back to the center situation, Duchene wants a top 6 role and on Buffalo he would slot behind Eichel and O'Reilly on the 3rd line. Something I doubt he wants. Another thing is that O'Reilly got traded in the first place because of bad blood between him and Duchene. I don't think Botterill would bring cancer like that into a locker room.
    Again, the trade probably isn't going to happen but it was an interesting prospect.

2. Connor McDavid 9779

Connor McDavid 9779 Rookie 2

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Legend

Buffalo has plenty of center depth and the wing depth as you said isn't great. Eichel is better than Duchene imo. I don't know what the fuck is happening.

4. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 3

No matter what happens, we can all agree that Duchene will end up being massively undersold to somebody and the Avs will be screwed.