EDM Keep the #10 pick

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by AlClemBee9575, May 7, 2018.

1. Adam Boqvist

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Noah Dobson

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

The Edmonton Oilers will be the holder of the 10th overall pick in this years NHL entry draft. Obviously, this isn't a position that we expected to be in coming into this season, but we're here now. So, what should Edmonton do with the pick? The obvious answer is to keep it and draft someone. However the Oilers management group seems to be in the "win now" camp and pick might be traded. I'm going to make two arguments about this. One should be to keep the pick, one should be to trade it. Let's take a look at why Edmonton should keep the pick, and build for the future.

From what I've seen/read, here are the top 10 prospects available in this years draft.

1. Rasmus Dahlin (D)
    2.Andrei Svechnikov (RW)
    3. Filip Zadina (RW)
    4. Brady Tkachuk (LW)
    5. Quinn Hughes (D)
    6. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (D)
    7. Evan Bouchard (D)
    8. Oliver Wahlstrom (RW)
    9. Adam Boqvist (D)
    10. Noah Dobson (D)

Again, this is what I've read so please don't hate on me if I forgot someone. Now obviously we can automatically assume that Buffalo drafts Dahlin and Carolina drafts Svechnikov. But after that, it's open season on who can be taken by who. So who should Edmonton draft? Based on what I've read of the prospects, here are the two Edmonton should try to nab if available. Information courtesy of OilersNation.com

Adam Boqvist - Boqvist, not unlike most young defenseman, still has some work to do defensively but his offensive upside is through the roof. The young Swede has one of the hardest shots in the draft and isn’t afraid to let it fly on the power-play. In addition to a booming shot, he also has a set of hands that would be described as outstanding for any player regardless of position. I think Boqvist’s offensive upside isn’t being talked about as much as it should be due to some other Swede named Rasmus Dahlin, you may have heard of him, stealing the spotlight.

Noah Dobson - Dobson doesn’t appear to be as much of a pure offensive threat as a few others on this list but is projected to develop into a well-rounded blueliner. His shot is more accurate than is it powerful which isn’t always a bad thing. He may be the most defensively sound defender in this group yet he was still over a point per game this season. Multiple scouting reports say he could use a little work on his top end speed; which would likely help his offensive upside at the next level.

Here's my reasons why Edmonton needs to keep the pick and draft someone.

#1. Low cost - Edmonton is going to be up against the cap here, even with it expected to go up. While you get what you pay for in McDavid/Draisitl, the Lucic, Russell, and Sekera contracts are hard to swallow. Lucic had a bad year, so I am willing to let his slide, but the Russell contract is just horrendous. Sekera's old and while he's still good, it was proven that he's a waste of money if he isn't 100%. Add to that, the Oilers just signed Mikko Koskinen to a 1yr $2.5M contract to serve as a potential backup to Cam Talbot. Drafting someone will guarantee that Edmonton will only be paying him a max of $925,000 for 3 years. More than enough time to trade one of Sekera or Russell.

#2. Another prospect - Edmonton's prospect pool is one of the weakest in the league. While drafting has improved under Chiarelli, a decade of poor drafting has cost Edmonton dearly. Teams like Pittsburgh, Tampa and, dare I say it, Toronto have MUCH better prospect pools and are able to develop readily available NHL talent consistently. Keeping their pick and drafting someone will help stock the cupboards down in Bakersfield, especially now that Jay Woodcroft is the new head coach down there.

#3. An expansion draft looms - confirmed or not, Seattle is coming, and they could come as early as 2020. Assuming Seattle is granted the same draft rules as Vegas, the Oilers will be allowed to protect 7 forwards, 3 defenceman and 1 goalie. First and second year rookies will be exempt from being drafted, so drafting someone now will allow Edmonton to not worry about losing the drafted player.

So yeah, drafting a player is Edmonton's best choice right now. Again, I don't know who they're going to pick, but I'd be fine with Noad Dobson or Adam Boqvist. What do you think?

2. MasterMatt23

MasterMatt23 Hall of Famer 3

Imo, Boqvist will be gone by 10th, maybe Dobson as well