EDM Report: Oilers hire assistants

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by AlClemBee9575, May 24, 2018.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

During Game 7 between Tampa and Washington, Jason Gregor tweeted out that the Oilers have hired two new assistant coaches, while reportedly working on a deal with a 3rd. Nothing has been confirmed by the Oilers themselves, but the speculation is that the two new assistant coaches are Glen Gulutzen and Trent Yawney. The reported 3rd coach, could either me Manny Viveiros or Todd Nelson. Here's my breakdown.

Glen Gulutzen: As you probably remember, Gulutzen was hired as the head coach for the Flames in 2015. While he wasn't the best coach in Flames history, he did help the team make the 2017 playoffs...and then get swept by Anaheim. This past season, his antics finally wore out on Flames fans, frustrated with some of his lineup decision, lack of taking timeouts, and not meeting with players after a game (regardless of whether they won or lost). In total, Gulutzen had an 82-68-14 record with the Flames (82-72-14 if we're including the sweep by Anaheim). He an Todd McLellan went out to Humboldt to visit some of the victims families (as both are from Saskatchewan), and that's when it was first speculated that Glen could join the Oilers staff. I don't know what he'd oversee though on the Oilers.

Trent Yawney: As has been stated before on social media, the hiring of Yawney was one of the worst kept secrets in Edmonton. Still, it's a good move. Yawney had been an assistant coach to Todd in San Jose, and spent the last few seasons with the Anaheim Ducks. His specialty is penalty kill and helping D-man become better...something that Edmonton sorely needed this past season. And this makes sense. Anaheim has a strong defensive core and has had a strong PK over the past few years.

Todd Nelson: When Dallas Eakins was fired in 2014, Todd Nelson was brought in as the new HC...temporarily. In his short time, he seemed to actually make the Oilers better, as they won more games then they lost after his hiring. Sadly he was let go by the Oilers, replacing him with McLellan. Nelson was then hired as an assistant coach in Detroit. After their season was over, Nelson was allowed to speak with other NHL clubs in regards to an assistant coaching gig. Could he be coming back to Edmonton?

Manny Viveiros: The head coach of the WHL's Swift Current Broncos has had a good track record down in the Dub. His team won the WHL championship this year and he made some great coaching decisions. The speculation has been there for months now, but it was thought that the Oilers were going to announce the hiring of Viveiros after the Broncos season was over. The Broncos lost to the Regina Pats last night, meaning their quest for the memorial cup is over, as well as their season. I expect the announcement to come as early as this afternoon, or as late as Monday. If he is hired, expect Viveiros to oversee the Oilers powerplay.

Regardless of who Edmonton hires as the #3 assistant coach, I'm actually 100% behind these moves. All of these candidates bring qualities that can absolutely help the Oilers in their quest to make a return to the playoffs as well as save Peter Chiarelli's butt. In fact, everything the Oilers have done up until this point have been smart, savy moves, and I'm actually excited for next season. But we'll see how this pans out.

2. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

It's official...

Gulutzan, Vivveiros, and Yawney have been hired as the new assistant coaches for the Edmonton Oilers