EDM Rookie tournament wrap-up

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by AlClemBee9575, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

So the Oilers finished their rookie tournament this past weekend going a perfect 3-0 against the Flames , Jets, and Canucks. Obviously most of these players will never crack an NHL lineup, but I was impressed with a few players here and there. Let's get to them.

#1. Chad Butcher: Butcher spent his entire junior hockey career with the Medicine Hat Tigers racking up a total of 82 goals and 259 points in 301 games played. He wasn't drafted but decided to sign with the Oilers AHL affiliate for the 2017-18 season. At the young stars tournament, he impressed, big time. He finished with 3 goals, 4 assist, totalling 7 points in the 3 game event, and was the driving force behind the Oilers 4-2 win over the Flames in the first game. Doubt he can crack an NHL roster, but I liked what I saw from him.

#2. Kailer Yamamoto: When Peter Chiarelli took over the Oilers GM job in 2015, the "bruinization" of the Oilers began. That is, Edmonton started to get bigger and nastier. So when the Oilers selected Yamamoto at 22nd overall, some people were a bit confused. Kailer is only a few inches taller than Calgary's Johnny Gaudreau. But what Kailer lacks in size and strength, he more than makes up for in speed and determination. He only nabbed a point during thr entire tournament, but Kailer was dangerous almost every time he had the puck. He'll be a good NHLer one day, but it's best if he goes back to junior hockey this season.

#3. Caleb Jones: There is a popular belief among Oilers fans that both Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear will compete for the right to skate alongside either Darnell Nurse or Matt Benning on the Oilers 3rd defensive pairing, due to the loss of Andrej Sekera. Both are highly touted defensive prospects, but I liked Jones' game a lot in this tournament. His defensive coverage was great, passes were clean and crisp, and he managed a few howitzers as well. Personally, I think Gryba will play with Darnell, while Jones and Bear develop in Bakersfield.

#4. Dylan Wells: While Butcher, Yamamoto, and Jones played in all three games, Dylan Wells only played one. He wasn't horrible or injured, but the rookie tournament required that Edmonton showcase 3 goalies. Wells got the nod against Calgary and he was outstanding. He made several key saves, including stopping an impressive play that would've put Calgary up 3-1. Instead, he makes the save and a few minutes later, Edmonton is up 4-2. With Edmontons goalie pipeline a question mark (especially if Talbot gets injured), its good to know that Wells can be relied upon if needed.

#5. Stuart Skinner: Another goalie who impressed me, Skinner got the nod in game 2 vs Winnipeg and he brought his A-game. With the Jets firing on all cylinders to start the game, Skinner kept the Oilers from falling behind. By the end of th game, Skinner's 26 saves propelled Edmonton to a 3-0 win over the Jets rookies. With Brossoit and Ellis duking it out for the spot of backup, Skinner and wells could get looks in the AHL this season.

All in all, I'm happy with the rookie tournament. This was the second straight year Edmonton didn't lose a game at the tournament, so it's good to know Edmonton has gotten better with their player development and drafting. Next up, I'll be covering the pre-season, before the real fun begins on October 4th.

GO OILERS GO

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Legend

3. Leafer

Leafer 2BC Elite PICK'EM CHAMP

Pretty good prospects out there. Especially Yamamoto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.