BUF Sabres Re-Sign Robin Lehner

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by Doclaf, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 3

Robin Lehner filed for arbitration and today he and the Sabres have come to an agreement regarding his salary. His new contract is for 1 year at $4 million. I really like this salary for a number of reasons.

1) Carey Price set the money bar very high for elite goaltending. Now Lehner is nowhere near Price, but I consider him a proficient starter. He was very solid last year (except when the game went past 65 minutes) and will be the starter going into this next season. So that said, only $4 million is a complete steal.
    2)The second reason I like this deal is that it creates competition. The last time Chad Johnson was in Buffalo, he took a serious run at the starter position. He could try again this year. In the AHL is young Swedish goalie Linus Ullmark. He has all the makings of a starter and would also like a shot at being the Sabres go to guy in the coming years. With the term only a year long, that is the window Johnson and Ullmark have to prove they have what it takes to Botterill.
    I do like Lehner, but Botterill has done an incredible job at creating competition for spots in the goaltending position now. Competition makes players strive to be their best. Buffalo as a team will be striving to be their best in the coming years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.