Featured Who Will Win The Calder???

Discussion in 'NHL Discussion' started by Johnny Superbman, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

Hey Boys,

So the regular season is almost done and we have a three horse race for rookie of the year. Filip Forsberg from Nashville, Johnny Gaudreau from Calgary and Aaron Ekblad from Florida are the contenders this year and choosing a winner from these 3 ain't easy. Now my opinion may be biased since during my childhood I was either a defender or a midfielder in soccer and then when I started playing Hockey, I always loved playing on the blue line. I find that yes the forwards get all the glory but those same forwards need the defenders or midfielders to feed them the puck/ball so that they can score. When it comes to playing for fun with your friends then of course everyone wants to put up points. However, when it comes to winning games on a professional level it's all about the little things. This is why my choice for the Calder this year is Aaron Ekblad. What Ekblad has done as an 18 year old playing on a team that finished 2nd worst last year is incredible. He's 4th on the team for points, 1st for team defenceman points, he's second on the team in total ice time and the Panthers are competing for a Playoff spot less than a year after tanking.

Johnny Gaudreau would be a close second for me. This kid can put up serious numbers and it looks like he's gonna be scoring for CGY for a long time. I have nothing negative to say about Johnny Hockey. Even if CGY misses the playoffs it's still been a fantastic year. I just think that as a winger, Johnny has less responsibilities compared to Aaron. CGY has also proved to have a good team this year and other players have really helped out in CGY such as Giordano, Monahan, Hudler, Wideman, Brodie. So if it's a tie for skill between these two I give the nod to Ekblad simply because Top 2 Dman is far more valuable than a 1st Line Winger.

Filip Forsberg is having an incredible season and I bet WSH fans are kicking themselves right now. Forsberg is exactly what NSH needed, a young goal scoring winger. I do feel that NSH would still be a good team even without Forsberg though. Also, Forsberg had tried out NHL hockey last year for 13 games and the year before that for 5 games. He also played 47 games in the AHL which is full of NHL talent. Forsberg had a little bit more time to grow, he gets to play on a very good team and he's older than Ekblad. It's a close race but I still gotta go with the Defender in this situation. To show you that I'm consistent, if there was a rookie goalie tearing it up I'd give him my vote because Goalie is harder than Defence.

So let me know what you guys think of this and give me your opinions.
    Thanks for your time
    Johnny Superbman

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    • Like x 42
    • Agree x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  2. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

I think John Klingberg should get some serious discussion for the Calder, but since the d-men never seem to get much attention when it comes to the Calder, I'll wager it'll end up with Filip Forsberg after the year he's had. He's been really great for Nashville, and yeah, he did get some breaking-in time prior to this season, but what he's done this year is flat out phenomenal.

EDIT: Since people are apparently not understanding why I'm saying John Klingberg should be included in this discussion, without reading the rest of thread for the reasoning behind it, I'll post the expanded version here:

Why Klingberg should be part of this conversation more: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/3...y-aaron-ekblad-filip-forsberg-johnny-gaudreau

Response when people say Klingberg has not done as much as Ekblad:

Direct Link

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 19
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. JohnnyHockey

JohnnyHockey Rookie

Me

• Like x 28
    • Funny x 5
    • Dumb x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • List
  4. JonathanKane98

JonathanKane98 Rookie

I agree with your choice of Ekblad. I've been thinking that way all season long. No bad pick though

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 6
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    • List
  5. Sean DeVries

Sean DeVries Rookie

6. RockSolid

RockSolid Rookie

How about Michael Hutchinson ? Probably won't get it because of all the great rookies this year but he is killing it.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Old x 1
    • List
  7. HitmanPayne

HitmanPayne Veteran 3

I'd say Ekblad, but I've always been a Gaudreau boy from his time at BC. But, what Ekblad has done as a 18 year old rookie is just too big to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  8. Josepho

Josepho Hall of Famer

Ekblad will win it. Forsberg and Gaudreau have been phenomenal though. My biased side wants to bring up Horvat, and I believe Klingberg has been stunning.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  9. ZG313

ZG313 Legend

Ekblad should win. He provides a foundation for the Panthers to build on, and since he's a fan favorite, he defiantly helps grow the sport in Southern Florida

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Connor

Connor Rookie

I agree that Ekblad would be the right choice to win. He came in and played for a team that was at the bottom of the rankings and turned them into a playoff contending team.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Cody73

Cody73 Pro

Guadreau. The kid has been productive all year long, and is playing on a team no-one expected to make the playoffs. That has to go in consideration. I love Ekblad just as much, but I have to give the edge to Johnny Hockey.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. kingsboy11

kingsboy11 Veteran 3

It's between Ekblad and Forsberg for me. And I'll be happy with any of those 3 winning, but if I had a gun pointed at my head and I had to choose, I'd probably lean towards Ekblad for the same reasons Johnny mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. Dstarsfan33

Dstarsfan33 Rookie

It pisses me off as a Stars fan. Because John Klingberg has played 53 games has
    10 goals
    36 points
    +/- he's a +5
    And people don't even mention his name when talking about the Calder race. Whether it was 30 games into the season or 65+

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Simon Granger

Simon Granger Rookie

The hamburglar!! He's 27, but it's his first year in the NHL.

• Like Like x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. EA IS AWFUL

EA IS AWFUL Rookie

I also think that ekblad should since he is only 18 and he is leading a team to a possible spot for the playoffs but someone that deserves some consideration is anders lee. I am bias being an islander fan but he had big boots to fill when the isles lost okposo and he is now 2nd in goals of all rookies.

16. Cody73

Cody73 Pro

Now here's a true wildcard mention that has surprised me.

17. King K

King K Retired LEGEND

All three have been a legitimate asset to their respetive teams as CGY, NSH and FLA have all become playoff bound teams. However, I think Ekblad has done the most for his team in comparison to what Forsberg and Gaudreau have done for theirs. All three are special and I would be pretty happy to have any on my squad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Dstarsfan33

Dstarsfan33 Rookie

and I forgot to mention he's a D-man

Know he won't win it but it would be nice to see someone give him recognition.

19. SHAW BR0z

SHAW BR0z Veteran

Id say Ekblad should undoubtedly win the calder because if you look at the stats as an 18 year old in the NHL as a defenceman, he has had one of the greatest rookie seasons in NHL HISTORY.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Don Cherry

Don Cherry Rookie

I would give the Calder Trophy to Johnny Hockey. The Calgary Flames are one of the biggest surprises in the NHL, battling it out for a playoff spot in the much harder Western Conference. Florida and Nashville are in spots where a lot of people thought they would be right now. Johnny is currently playing on one of the hottest lines in the NHL right now with Hudler and Monahan. Another reason why I would give the edge to Johnny is because it was questioned at the start of the season if he would even play in the NHL now look where he is.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.